Friday, February 9, 2007

Girl Talk - Night Ripper - Album Review.


Girl Talk

Night Ripper

Score: 7.6

DJ’s sampling songs is nothing new, I’m sure you’ve heard approximately 1 trillion mash-ups. The problem (arguably) is that none of them penetrate the public shield, I mean, sure, if you are a DJ fan or a fan of underground hip hop in general, you might find some rare gems, like the Grey Album, I guess. But this is where Girl Talk flourishes; Night Ripper penetrated the public shield like Jason Biggs penetrates pies.

Then someone like DJ Gregg Gillis (aka. Girl Talk, obviously) comes along and tears the absolute shit out of the genre, instead of using two songs (ala Grey Album) he takes handfuls of songs and rips them into little bits and throws them up against the proverbial wall to see what sticks. And for the most part, what sticks, is akin to some sort of magic. Before reading the rest of this review, please understand that I am in no way, shape, or form a dance music fan. In fact, I think that any song that makes me want to “bop 2 da beat” should be outlawed, if only to save the public from my “dance” moves.

The weird thing about Girl Talk is that even though he uses over a hundred songs on the album (most only for a few seconds) he puts them all together like he sees songs as puzzles and just puts together pieces of songs to create a whole new, beautiful picture. The true genius of Night Ripper is the coupling of rap with rock songs, which, by itself is nothing new, but when you hear, Ludacris, The Verve, Kelis, Oasis, Eminem, and whoever the fuck else there is, on one song. You know some shit is going down. Jesus, there is even a Neutral Milk Hotel clip, respect

By utilizing what I’m sure are none other than the darkest magics available to a mere mortal, Greg Gillis has created something spastic and delightful, but what draws a musical trivia buff (not really) to this album is seeing whether or not you can discern all the bits and pieces of songs within songs, some so short that you need to actually concentrate on the music.. A song with this many samples is obviously illegal, and while listening to it, I feel like an outlaw, so much so that if a sheriff were to kick the door to my saloon open, I would pop him with my six shooter, no questions.

The only downfall of this album is that at some points it’s too sporadic and that while concentrating on it, your brain may start to bleed from the inside. Other than that, I would say that Girl Talk isn’t timeless enough; in fact, I believe the album comes with the expiry date stamped on the front in an unrecognizable script so you have to smell test it before you listen to it. I would also advise that you bring Night Ripper to all your house parties, because it is nothing if not sexily danceable (well, maybe not on my part, but you know.)


Girl Talk - Night Ripper

No comments: