Monday, March 26, 2007

MC Frontalot - Nerdcore Rising - Record Review


MC Frontalot

Nerdcore Rising.

Score: 9.4


As a raging nerd, I have always called out for a savior, someone that would banish the darkness of sports and “good looks” someone I could idolize. Throughout highschool I could only look to myself for unwavering strength as a nerd that enjoyed videogames, acne, and geeking on the computron. I would quote Star Wars with a stunning regularity and would try and cast spells on my foes, and when that was unsuccessful, I blamed it on my lack of experience points. In grade 11 I stumbled upon two heroes named Gabe and Tycho, they were the masters behind the extremely popular gaming webcomic Penny Arcade. For two years(and to this day), every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, I would sit in front of my computer screen and squeal with absolute delight, these two people understood my plight because, they too, had suffered as I was suffering. They were/are a beacon of hope to all of my people. But they introduced me to someone who was at a greater “level” than they were at, this man, nay, demi-god named (aliased) MC Frontalot.

Upon hearing Nerdcore Rising, my heart filled with a white, pure light. Its holy glow penetrating all layers of clothing, it shone for days and days. From that day on, I vowed to convert as many people as I could to the nerd persuasion. Brothers and sisters, heed my call!
Nerdcore Rising opens with “Charity Case” a song about how poor he is, because nerds hate spending money on data. Like a true nerd, he understands this taking jabs at the RIAA and acknowledging that most people got his record off bittorrent (fuck!) not to mention a shout out to GI Joe. After hearing this song, I genuinely wanted to buy MC Frontalot’s CD. This record wields that much power.

On Nerdcore Rising, MC Frontalot rhymes about everything from Goth Girls (in “Goth Girls”) the war in Iraq (in “Special Delivery”) and even Penny Arcade (in “Penny Arcade Theme” original!) I’m not doing a great job of describing the actual music, but that’s the beauty of MC Frontalot, the beat almost become secondary to the words, the lyrics are original, genuine and hilarious at times, if you aren’t a nerd, some of it won’t make sense, but all in all accessible to everyone.

Plus, as a man/boy who enjoys “indie rock” the song “Indier than Thou” is incredibly accurate when “The Front” croons “I’m so indie that my shirt don’t fit.” and “Hipsterism is a religion to which you gotta be devout, you must be seen as in between unpopular and hated or else get excommunicated.” So true, Front, so true.

Some people complain that the CD is just a more polished version of the older songs on his website, and that’s true, but there is nothing wrong with sounding more polished as long as your record isn’t some sort of grey paste. I’ll give it a spin. and when someone fronts as much as the front..fronts, I’ll give it two or three…million! hundred!

Nerdcore Rising.

No comments: